Sunday, February 10, 2008

Whole Lotta Hofmans!!

1967 (see below for who's who)
Wow! I think every Hofman family was represented here, at least in part, except John & Dot Hofman's wild western bunch. But don't worry, Uncle John, I've got some of you and yours to be posted later. Okay, I'm going to give this whirl and I'll see if I can get this even half right. Starting from the front lefthand corner and working around the picnic table I think these individuals are as follows: Marge Vermeer, Claire Hoogstrate, Wally Hofman, Edene Hofman (in sunglasses), Billy Hoogstrate, Jane Van't Hof, Don VH, Stephanie Barrows, Elly Barrows, Mickie VH, Joanie VH Rosema, Eunice Hoogstrate Hayes, Janice Hofman, Karen VH Reid (in front of E and J), Judy VH Alphenaar, Steve VH, and Tommy Barrows.

I'm not sure what the celebration was but I think it was probably one of those massive potluck picnics we had every so often. I was crazy about those picnics because we VH children were able to gorge ourselves on food we were never normally served. In particular I remember Aunt Edene's deviled eggs and baked beans served in a heavy brown bowl that meant some serious cooking had been going on. The closest we ever got to baked beans at home were lima beans and to this day I just can't go there. Aunt Claire made lasagna and I would eat so much I would be in pain.

P.S. I like how Aunt Marge's and cousin Tommy's black eyeglasses kinda frame the photo. This makes me think Uncle Art, with his artistic bent, probably took the picture. I guess Uncle Ade was bravingly manning the grill and flipping burgers.

1 comment:

Lynda Lee Schab said...

What a fun blog, Joanie! Brings back all of those wonderful Big Star Lake memories. And seeing my grandma in this photo...how fun is that!

Oh, I guess I should mention...this is Lynda Vermeer, your third or fourth cousin - or whichever number it is.

My aunt Carol, Judy and Sandy all pointed me in your direction. I'll be checking back.

Hugs,
Lynda