Wednesday, January 18, 2012

We Are Waiting

.... we have not forgotten


A letter written by Grandma (Jennie) Hofman,
August 28, 1956:

"Dear All,
Greetings from 747 Fuller,

After spending 2 weeks at Big Star
we arrived home about 2:30 Saturday afternoon.
We had a nice time. The last week the weather was perfect, warm and sunny....
9 families left yesterday.
Marge said she doesn't remember ever so many going home at the same time...
Judy Kae is feeling better. I sure felt sorry for her,
she was sick most of the time.
Mildred got a shot out there too for a sore throat,
their Dr. bill was $24.00 ....
Don took the trailer and Ade's car back and also
got a cottage for when Don and those other fellows go deer hunting..."


Dave , Mickie & Judy Kae VH on the lawn of 747
with First PR church in the background.


3 comments:

Emma Bumstead said...

Hi there Joanie--

I happened to do a Google search today out of curiosity to see if the sign that marked my family's old cottage was still around and I was VERY surprised to see that you have posted about it a few times!

My name is Emma Bumstead and my family once owned the "Bumstead Ponderosa." Do you happen to know if the old sign is still there? I'd love to come visit it someday. I do know that the cottage itself is long gone-- but do you have more pictures from the inside? My family sold the cottage when I was about 10 (to help pay for my grandmother's care a few years before she died, the land and cottage were originally hers) so my memories of the inside are a little hazy.

It's such a shame that the property was in disrepair like that for so many years-- I have many beautiful pictures of it from the 60's when it was in it's prime.

It's great to see your picture, I miss Baldwin!

-Emma

Joanie said...

Hi Emma,
As you can tell, we've had kind of a love affair with the enchanted place (at least to us) called Bumstead Ponderosa. So much mystery seemed to surround it.

My daughter does, indeed, have a few more photos. I will send them to you shortly.

I am almost certain that the sign is gone. Do you mean the one right out on Big Star Lake road? We are up in that area about every six weeks or so.

Thank you for all of the background information. We always loved that location and wished we had the money to purchase it.

Joanie

Emma Bumstead said...

I certainly hope that I haven't ruined the mystery too much by introducing myself! If you'd like I could also send along some of the scanned photos I have from it's prime. I don't know if blogger shows my email, but my gmail email address is embstead.

It's a bummer about the sign, I still can't get over that I was able to find it by searching the internet. It's a very, very small world.